Thursday, May 22, 2014

My Star Doily UPDATED LINK

The link to Free Vintage Crochet.com was broken and finally a kind person at Ravelry brought it to my attention. So this is a repost with corrected link and step by step information. Apologies to all.




Hi everybody!
Although this is an old pattern, I'm calling it mine because I rewrote and reworked it in today's English crochet terms. I found the pattern HERE at Free Vintage Crochet.com. I was looking for something quick for some instant gratification and this looked perfect. I grabbed some size 3 crochet thread and a 2.75 or C hook.
Now let me tell you, I'm an old hand at reading and writing patterns, but it was like this was written in some other language. After just the first couple of rows I was confused. So I *did it and frogged it* repeat *to* several times! Finally I got smart, got some paper and pen and wrote the pattern as I made it. Feel free of course to use the one from Vintage (you ought to see it and try it even to appreciate what I have done to it) but the following step-by-step will save you a lot of time and frustration.
MY STAR PATTERN DOILY
2.75 or C hook
Size #3 crochet cotton




Rnd 1/ ch 7, join with ss to form a ring, {Do not use magic circle, this pattern needs the ss join.} ch 5, dc in ring *1dc, ch 2* 7 more times. After last ch 2, ss in 3rd ch of ch 5. You should have 8 spokes and 8 spaces.




Rnd 2/ ch3, 4 dc in next space (for total of 5), 5 dc in each space around. (5x8=40 dc) ss to top of first ch 3.




Rnd 3/ ch 3, skip 1st dc ( which is the one your ch 3 came out of) 1 dc in each of next 7 dc, *ch 5, dc in next 8 dc, ch 5 *. Repeat * to * around and join with ss to top of ch 3. (40/8=5 so you have your 5 points started.) this rnd has 8 dc in each point and 1 ch 5 space between.
There is no joining from here till the finish.




Rnd 4/ ch 5, sc in ch 5 loop of previous row. Ch 5 and skipping the 1st dc, *dc in next 6 dc, ch 5* around. ( you are skipping first and last of 8 dc in previous rnd so you now have 6 dc at each point and 2 ch 5 spaces between.




Rnd 5/ with last ch 5 on hook, sc in 1st loop, ch 5 and dc in 2nd dc in previous rnd, dc in next 3 dc for total of 4 dc, ch 5, sc in loop, ch 5, sc in next loop then ch 5 and dc into 2nd dc of next point. Remember we are skipping 1st and last dc of previous rnd. Continue around. You should have 4 dc in each point separated by 3 ch 5 loops.




Rnd 6/ with last ch 5 from rnd 5 on hook, dc in 2nd dc of point,
and 1dc in next dc. Now you have 2 dc in point. Make 3 ch 5, sc loops then another ch 5 to dc in next point. Do this around until you have 2 dc at each point separated by 4 ch 5 loops.




Rnd 7/ 1 dc in each point and 5 ch 5 spaces between each dc.




Rnd 8/ edging. You may use the original edging or any one you like. I did this: 3 sc, ch 2, 3 sc in each loop around.
(When you pin it to block, remember this is not a circle, it is a hexagon.)
That's it! I hope I've made it clear and simple and if you find any mistakes, please contact me.
If you extend the loop rounds then do a couple or three rows of plain single crochet for the band, this makes a lovely slouch hat, join several together for a larger piece, do red, white, and blue for 4th of July. I even think this souls make a nice rug in chunky yarn.
Crochet every single day,
Boo