Sunday, November 18, 2012

Fiesta Bag






This is a sort of no-pattern pattern. This method of seamless crochet has been used to make pot-holders and flat bags and such for many years. It's all done in single crochet and two I am sharing today were made with size 3 cotton and an "F" hook.
I made this one for my cell phone, but you can make it as big or as small as you want. I've got a smaller one made in red for credit cards that I will show later and since they are made the same way, I will demonstrate in red because it is easier to see than the variegated.








They both start the same way. Make a chain as long as you want the closed end to be wide. Turn and single crochet to end of row. This is where it gets different. After the last single crochet you place your hook in the remaining loop, wrap the tail to lay along side the remaining loops so that you are crocheting in the tail as you work single crochets down the opposite side of the original chain.




At the point shown above the next step is to single crochet in top of very first single crochet. You do not join as usual, you just keep on doing sc in each stitch as you spiral upwards.
This next photo shows the first few rounds. Be sure to make no increases or decreases. Only sc in each stitch.




As you can see, it will be a nice fit for credit cards. Here it is finished with a round of slip stitch.








You could use a ruffle edge or one for a drawstring like the Fiesta Bag. The last photo shows the open end with 12 credit cards. They will NOT fall out.
If you want to make one that does not fit so snugly like maybe a bag for your sunglasses, or say a little clutch, it is easy to add a handle or flap to button or snap close. Variations are unlimited. On my Fiesta Bag I added a little loop to hook my keys to.
I will have a pot holder to show you even more magic about this method.
Crochet every day,
Gale