Friday, September 7, 2012

Caribbean Scarf for Mom

Crochet. I had so many projects going that I just couldn't decide what to do, so I did nothing. For several days my mind struggled with it and then I knew if I didn't crochet soon I was going to go stark raving mad. So I started something new with a yarn I had purchased just for times like this. Snap! I was ok again. So today I want to share this scarf I made for my Mother out of life saving crochet.
I made a swatch of a textured pattern I like, but it seemed to compete with the glorious color and loft of this yarn. I was already feeling better to have remembered my little "tough-time stash", but needed to make a decision about the stitch to use.








There is a pattern on the back of label for scarf pictured on front. Wasn't sure I could follow even a simple pattern. Looked through some bookmarked patterns, and my own stash but nothing. Then I thought "keep it simple". So the pattern is a very basic one that I like to use for wash cloths or face cloths. But the difference is I decided to use a giant N hook to see how it would look as a much more open, lacy stitch. I loved it! Decided to make a scarf and tah dah! Hope you like it too! The pictures does not do justice to the rich, gentle colors.




The pattern is simply this :
Row 1>>Make a foundation chain of an odd number of stitches, turn and single crochet in the third chain. Chain one, skip one chain and single crochet in the next chain. Continue to the end of the chain.
Row 2>>Turn, chain 2 and single crochet in the chain 1 space of the previous row. Chain 1, skip the next stitch and single crochet in the next chain 1 space. Continue to the end of the row. End with a single crochet in the beginning chain 2 of the previous row. Turn, chain 2 and repeat row 2 until you run out of yarn! (or you reach the size you want)




If you have troubled times too, I suggest you get a special stash too. Crochet every day.
Boo