Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Crochet Rocks

There is nothing new about crocheting "rock snuggies". However, this is still a quick, easy and FUN method to experiment with free form crochet. The rock pictured below, I have had for years, but just last night decided to dress up the naked little thing for a change. I love the shape and feel, but as a rock connoisseur, the unusual color was over the top for me.












The color is what I would describe as milk chocolate and raw liver. Sounds yucky, but it really is beautiful. It is about the size of a large duck egg.
I started with a circle and went from there. It just occurred to me that I could start with a square. That's what I'll do next.
If you are unsure about how to start, use the first round or two of a doily or coaster. It's a bit of a cheat, but I'd still call it free form when you finish.
Please try free form crochet. It will teach you that you know more than you think you do (building confidence), and is so much fun.

NOTICE: If you came here from Petals to Picots and are not a crocheter, you can do collage, or paint, or any number of different techniques. If you want the look of crochet, paint pens do a nice job. Kids can get in on the fun too!
A hunting expedition for finding "potato" rocks gets them outside for awhile, then bring them in to cool down with some serious decorating.
Boo